Dothan Family Attorneys Acting as Your Personal Advocate
Legal issues that involve parents and children can be heated, stressful and have a negative impact on a family’s dynamic. If you are going through divorce, a custody matter or other family law matter, it is important to have a lawyer on your side who knows the law, who knows how family courts operate and who knows what will work best for your particular situation. This calls for insight that only comes from years of real-world legal experience.
At Smith & McGhee, PC, our attorneys have extensive experience in handling all kinds of family law matters, even extremely difficult cases. We realize that every case is different, and as your legal representatives, we will work hard to protect your rights and look out for your best interests.
Experience With A Broad Range Of Family And Matrimonial Law Matters
Our firm provides guidance and representation with a wide array of family law matters, including:
- Divorce: We represent men and women throughout Alabama, including military personnel from Fort Rucker, in contested and uncontested divorces. We help our clients arrive at favorable outcomes through mediation, negotiation and litigation.
- Property division: In divorce cases, marital assets and debts are divided. Our lawyers are adept at identifying marital property and nonmarital property, and developing strategies that uphold our clients’ best interests. We can help, regardless of how simple or complex their property situation is.
- Alimony and support: As part of a divorce, spousal support (also known as alimony) can be granted on a temporary or permanent basis, and it can be paid periodically or as one large lump sum. We can help you reach the best possible alimony arrangement in your situation, whether you believe you are entitled to payments or you may be required to make them.
- Child custody and visitation: We consistently protect the rights of parents and the best interests of children. If you are a parent in a divorce case or another situation, we can help you seek custody and develop visitation schedules that allow you to be involved in your children’s lives.
- Child custody and relocation: There may be changes in situations that can affect custody and the location of one parent. If you are seeking to relocate or looking to challenge a petition to relocate, our attorneys will represent your interests.
- Child support: In Alabama, child support is calculated primarily by a predetermined schedule. The calculation will include the gross income of both parents, the number of children, child care costs and health insurance expenses. Whether you will be paying support or receiving support on behalf of your children, we can help ensure that the fair amount is determined.
- Adoption: We handle stepparent and grandparent adoptions, as well as other domestic and international adoptions. We can assist you with all the legal documents and proceedings to ensure that the adoption goes as smoothly as possible.
- Domestic violence: We handle domestic violence issues and restraining orders as family matters and in the context of criminal charges. Whether you are a victim of abuse or have been accused of domestic abuse, we will take the time to understand your side of what occurred and handle your case on an individual basis.
- Post-decree modification and enforcement: Our attorneys help clients in enforcing or changing child custody, child support or spousal support orders. These issues can arise from relocation, change in income, remarriage and other significant life changes.
- Paternity: Our lawyers assist men and women alike in initiating and defending paternity actions and in dealing with related child support and visitation matters.
Serving Dothan, Ozark And Enterprise — Family Court Lawyers
Please contact the Dothan family lawyers at our firm to schedule an initial consultation by calling 334-702-41744 or contacting us online.